Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
Looking for a change of pace to your evening dinners? Here is a great recipe that I have found to be a family favorite over the past several months. The first time I made it, it took me a little longer than I was expecting but once I got my rhythm down the next few times were much easier.
What I love about this recipe:
- Whole food
- Clean ingredients
- Whole 30 / Paleo / Dairy Free / Grain Free
Modifications I have made:
- I peel and cut up by potatoes into chunks; boil them for 10 min; coat them with olive oil, salt and pepper; then roast them in oven, 20-30min
I do this so that I can measure out better how much sweet potato I am consuming. On average 1 – 1 ½ cup of sweet potatoes is what I stick to. If you want to go for a whole potato stick to a medium sized one. They have lots of great micronutrients in them like vitamins A, B, C, E, Magnesium and Potassium.
- I grill my broccoli in a grill pan on the stove top. Coat it with olive oil and season with Mrs. Dash seasoning. (You could also roast it in the oven as well).
So here we go!!
YEILDS 8 SERVINGS / COOK TIME 5 HOURS
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1/3 cup ghee (clarified butter) or you can use Kerry Gold butter which is grass fed
- 3 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne (optional – adds more heat)
- 8 small baked sweet potatoes (about 7 oz. each uncooked)
- Homemade ranch dressing (optional)
- Place chicken in a slow cooker set on low.
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine the hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder and optional cayenne. Stir together and heat until ghee is melted.
- Pour sauce into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with sauce.
- Turn slow cooker to warm (or remain on low) until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken in baked sweet potatoes and drizzle with buffalo sauce and ranch, if desired.
HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING RECIPE
(if you desire you can use store bought ranch. The ingredients just won’t be as clean).
- 1/2 cup mayo (homemade or Primal Kitchen Mayo)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (may need to blend to mix together)
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. dried dill
- ½ tsp. dried garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried onion powder
- ½ tsp. dried chives (optional)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt (add additional sea salt if desired)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Store in a covered container or mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family has! It is a great alternative to a buffalo chicken casserole! Enjoy all the flavor without adding unnecessary ingredients and additives.
For full blog post about this recipe visit www.therealfoodrds.com